The northwest corner of Market and Placer Streets in downtown Redding has long been a center of robust commercial activity.
For half a century, the building was the hub of regional commerce until it burned to the ground on January 13, 1939. That wasn’t the end of the story, though—far from it. Two years later, J.C. Penney’s opened its doors on what is now the site of The Atrium and operated at this location until 1975.
As the final phase of the Midtown Mall Redevelopment Project, the building underwent a major transformation and structural upgrade, and reopened as a multi-tenant, mixed-use center, in 1982. Under the present ownership it was renovated in 1994 and again in 2009. The most recent remodel was profiled in the trade journal Concrete Decor.
Business office uses are complemented by a full-service restaurant. A free, 650-space public parking lot is immediately adjacent to The Atrium and serves the building along with street parking.
A grand stairway and glass elevator that services the building’s three levels provide add a dramatic focal point to the space.
Since The Atrium was updated in 2009, its 4,500+ square foot common area, or courtyard, has become a popular community event center for weddings, proms, receptions, fundraisers, meetings and presentations. The courtyard is located at the property’s lower level and is open to the ceiling three stories above. A grand stairway and a glass elevator that services the building’s three levels provide access and add a dramatic focal point to the space.